Questions & Information -
510.799.1456  Fax - E-mail Submissions
When Is A Smog Required

For a California car registration, you will most likely need to have a smog check for your vehicle. However, you may want to know just when a smog check is required.

All vehicles are required to have a smog car registration inspection, except the following: diesel powered, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs., hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles older than 1975.

Car registration in California can cost more if you live in certain areas. In those particular areas, vehicles must submit smog certification with every other registration renewal. This is referred to as the biennial smog certification program.

If the vehicle is six or less model years old, owners pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six years instead of providing smog certification. However, the six or less model years old rule does not apply to all vehicles.

A vehicle that is four or less model years old that is transferred does not require a smog certificate, but a smog transfer fee will be collected.

If a vehicle is more than four model years old, the seller must provide a current smog certificate. If the transfer is between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild this does not apply.  Another exception is when a biennial smog certification was submitted within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date. 

When a car is sold, the seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog certificate at the time of the sale or transfer.

Smog certifications are only acceptable up to 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date, but a vehicle inspection report may be required as proof of certification.

Smog inspections are required for vehicle registration in California, but the specifics may vary depending on certain factors. For more information, check the California DMV Smog Information website.
© Copyright 2009-2018
ASAP Lien Sales
All Rights Reserved
A Better Way To Do Lien Sales
Have questions?  Need help?  Call us at:
Add this page to your favorites.
Notice To Customer. ASAP Lien Sales are licensed to provide registration service to the public, but our company is NOT a branch of the Department of Motor Vehicles.